ActionTiles Support & Ideas Forum
Public Forum for ActionTiles Customers. Please use the Search Box and carefully browse the results to look for existing relevant Topics before opening a new Topic or Private Helpdesk Ticket.
Please add a Tile(s) that can control Plex.
We are not planning on interfacing directly to various non-SmartThings platforms (be it Plex, Wink, Vera, Home Assistant, ...) at this time.
If someone develops a conforming "Media Controller" Device Type Handler for Plex for SmartThings, then ActionTiles's Media Control Tile will interface with it.
I have created this Topic as a home base to discuss this Feature Request Idea which has been coming up a few times on the Forum and Helpdesk.
- The SmartThings App offers a "Recently" tab when you look at the detail of a Thing or a Room.
- SmartTiles has an "Event History" Tile which listed activity (status change) events for all Tiles on the entire Dashboard in a single list, ordered most recent to oldest.
- SmartTiles allows developers to pull at most 7 days of activity history directly from their Cloud.
- ActionTiles launched without this feature.
Why not already in ActionTiles?
- One major factor in prioritizing what Features to offer at launch date was feedback from our tremendously helpful and valuable Beta testers. They used the product for months ... longer than we anticipated, since we found their ideas and recommendations to be compelling enough to implement some of them before launch.
- Beta Participants have a private section of the Forum where they opened and discussed Idea and Bug Topics. We also sent out individual polls.
- Event History was among the lowest popularity of all Feature requests.
- They are a diverse enough group that we weight their opinions highly. This open ActionTiles Support & Ideas forum will bring us even more information to help prioritize.
What's the Current Plan?
- We recognize that this feature may be "under-requested" at the present time, and yet would be highly valued by some customers.
- Like every feature, it presents some challenges to implement. There are lots of design decisions to consider... We are already brainstorming!
- When we're ready, we'll start with something basic, and then add enhancements based on your feedback.
- Let's start by using this Topic to capture your Topic Votes and an open discussion of how you would personally use and value activity event history feature(s).
The https://bondhome.io/ app has an awesome feature to "fix" the status of their tiles.
For example, if someone turns my fan light using the fan remote, my BOND app would not show as the light is on. In order to fix it, I just hold down any tile in their app (in this case the fan light tile) and it corrects the status of the tile.
So by holding it down it changes the tile from off to showing on without sending a command to the fan.
If a feature like that could be added for your tiles would be awesome.
Hope this made sense.
Thanks for the feedback / idea...
Some Feature Requests fall into the bucket of being too much of a "rare edge case" or have other practicality issues, that we are unlikely to give it much consideration. Sure... we'll keep the Topic open for a while in case we have underestimated interest and it gathers Votes or additional use-case comments.
So there's two concerns:
- "Long Press" is not a gesture option for a Material Design (and "Accessible") compliant web-app. Long press should reveal the text tooltip in most cases (like a hover with a mouse). I use Nova Launcher for Android, and, indeed, it recognizes all sorts of unique gestures, such as long-press and swipe-across-icon. We don't plan to add this hidden layer of complexity to ActionTiles; but it could happen in some far future generation. So if we offered special functionality like this, it would have to be via the standard Tile overflow menu (...).
- We know there are various types of Devices that do not relay their State Changes back to SmartThings (and, in turn, ActionTiles) when acted upon manually or via some other type of control like Alexa Voice. Even certain brands of Z-Wave light-switches may not report manual activation, due to a patent restriction from Lutron. Still ... we don't think it should be a household member's responsibility to "manually" fix or override the Tile State, especially since that still leaves the SmartThings Cloud out of sync (and thus the SmartThings App and any SmartApps that subscribe to the Device, etc.). Many Device Type Handlers periodically "poll" the physical device to determine if the State has changed and thus eventually update. In other cases, the displayed state is not critical, since if the fan has been turned "on" via remote and the Tile still indicates "off", simply tapping the tile twice will ensure it is turned "off" (i.e., first tap will switch the Tile to "on" and send the on() command to the Fan (which should be harmlessly ignored; and the second tap will switch the Tile to "off" and send the off() command to the Fan, resulting in the desired consistent state).
There is no mechanism in ActionTiles to change the State of a Tile without it having (a) been tapped, and/or (b) receiving a State Change Event from SmartThings.
This issue started popping up for the first time after months of usage without this issue appearing. Specifically, I have an older iPad 4 running iOS 10.3.3 and an ActionTile panel configured as a Safari home screen web app. After launching, the AT would persistently close/crash after a few minutes of runtime.
I've tried clearing History and Website data and rebooting the iPad a couple times which didn't solve the problem. I'm hoping there is a fix/solution for this as AT is my most used iPad app by far. Any help would be appreciated?
Since the rtsp support seems to be on hold for now I had to return the second camera I ordered on Amazon. But I managed to make one of my old camera work.
PLEASE list the exact brand for your camera here if you can confirm it works for you. This will help others with the new purchases.
Please list the http mask (URL format) you used.
Amazon purchase link also very much appreciated.
Feel free to add sreenshots to your camera tile too.
I have Actiontiles working great with the Nest Hello doorbell video streaming in an action tile. Works on desktops and most tablets, but it is a blank tile on all Fire Tablets.
I even tried developer mode in 5.6.x in FireOS and tested various setting but the tile still does not show up. I was wanting my doorbell feed to be on my dashboard but this is now a showstopper since i dont want to devote an iPad for the screen.
Please let me know any workarounds!!
I want to suggest a small change, but very important for my future projects.
I want to be able to change the tile status in the footer to a custom WORD status.
e.g.: When a contact sensor reports OPEN, the tile status should show ACTIVE, LIFTED or NOTHING AT ALL. -or- When that contact sensor is CLOSED, the tile status should show INACTIVE, LOCKED or NOTHING AT ALL. Same thing for other sensors.
Please check the picture attached to have a better idea. Please thumbs up in case you guys like the change.
After attempting to stream using Blue Iris (CPU on the server went through the roof), and not having any success using some of the other methods found here on the forum, I decided to give tinyCam a try.
There was another post that made a passing reference to the tinyCam webserver, so I installed the app on my Nexus 9, setup webserver and am now able to stream one of my outside security cams to a media tile.
Here's the media setup panel...
The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to address any of the other three cameras. There is supposedly a parameter to select a camera, but it's not working for me. Here's the request parameters from the Tinycam webserver API...
Perhaps there are others using tinyCam Pro Webserver that might share their experiences...
Here are the official tinyCam Pro API options:
tinyCam Monitor PRO web server uses API which is partially compatible with Axis IP cameras. You can use any IP camera viewer software to view tinyCam server remotely.
AuthenticationBy default basic authentication is used. However it is also possible to authenticate by providing credentials as parameters. In both cases it is hardly recommended to use HTTPS connection.
https://admin:email@example.com:8083/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi (Not recommended due to incompatibility with embedding in most browsers!) https://192.168.0.3:8083/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi?user=admin&pwd=mypassword
JPEG and MJPEG video requestsGuest and admin. The /axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi is used to request a Motion JPEG video stream with specified arguments. Request /axis-cgi/jpg/image.cgi is used for JPEG.
Selects the video source. 1..n. Optional.
Image frame rate. 0 - unlimited. Optional.
Adjusts the compression level of the image. Higher values correspond to higher compression, that is lower quality and smaller image size. Optional.
Resolution [width]x[height] of the returned image, e.g. 640x480. Optional.
http://192.168.0.3:8083/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi http://192.168.0.3:8083/axis-cgi/jpg/image.cgi http://192.168.0.3:8083/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi?camera=2&fps=1&compression=80&resolution=320x240 http://192.168.0.3:8083/axis-cgi/jpg/image.cgi?camera=3&compression=50&resolution=480x640
http://pastebin.com/NCWWSQxa (matrix 2x2)
PTZ requestsAdmin Login only. The /axis-cgi/com/ptz.cgi is used to make PTZ request with specified arguments.
Selects the video source. 1..n. Optional.
Continuous pan/tilt motion. Positive values mean right (pan) and up (tilt), negative values mean left (pan) and down (tilt). "0,0" means stop. Optional.
Values as <pan speed>,<tilt speed>
Continuous zoom motion. Positive values mean zoom in and negative values mean zoom out. "0" means stop. Optional.
Continuous focus motion. Positive values focus near and negative values mean focus far. "0" means stop. Optional.
Continuous iris motion. Positive values mean iris open and negative values mean iris close. "0" means stop. Optional.
Moves home. Optional.
Move to the position associated with the specified preset position number. 1..n. Optional.
http://192.168.0.3:8083/axis-cgi/com/ptz.cgi?move=home http://192.168.0.3:8083/axis-cgi/com/ptz.cgi?camera=2&gotoserverpresetno=3 http://192.168.0.3:8083/axis-cgi/com/ptz.cgi?continuouspantiltmove=0,0 http://192.168.0.3:8083/axis-cgi/com/ptz.cgi?continuouspantiltmove=100,-100&continuouszoommove=100
Background modeAdmin only. The root.BackgroundMode parameter is used to switch on/off background mode in tinyCam Monitor.
Can be on or off. Mandatory.
Can be on or off. Mandatory.
NotificationsAdmin only. The root.Notifications parameter is used to switch on/off notifications in tinyCam Monitor.
Can be on or off. Mandatory.
Tag name. Optional. If specified the app sends "Motion Detection On" or "Motion Detection Off" command to all cameras under the tag for changing on-camera motion detection.
http://192.168.0.3:8083/param.cgi?action=update&root.Notifications=on http://192.168.0.3:8083/param.cgi?action=update&root.Notifications=on&tag=Office http://192.168.0.3:8083/param.cgi?action=update&root.Notifications=off http://192.168.0.3:8083/param.cgi?action=update&root.Notifications=off&tag=Home
Power safe modeAdmin only. The root.PowerSafeMode parameter is used to switch on/off power safe mode in tinyCam Monitor.
Can be on or off. Mandatory.
Delete fileAdmin only. action=delete with root.Filename parameter used to delete recorded MP4 or JPEG files in tinyCam Monitor.
Pin fileAdmin only. action=pin with root.Filename parameter used to pin recorded MP4 or JPEG files in tinyCam Monitor.
Unpin fileAdmin only. action=unpin with root.Filename parameter used to unpin recorded MP4 or JPEG files in tinyCam Monitor.
Reboot Android deviceAdmin only. Root required.
I would like to be able hide a tileset based on whether or not I'm home, or if the home security is in alarm.
I would like to enter a PIN/password to reset the alarm. It would also be nice to have a tileset be view only until a PIN is entered to allow changes.
Please note that Changes to the Tileset Title and/or "Hide Tileset title on Panel" property are no longer updated and saved after making edits.
Tested on Safari and Chrome browsers, both mobile and desktop.
I'm trying to find a way to add on a tile (Fire tablet) for traffic conditions in Honolulu using this link but I can't get it to work. Please let me know if this is possible or not. Also if there is a way to zoom in that would help too. Thank you
Since Google has started charging for the use of the Maps API, I've changed the way I'm using the Shield.io call for real-time travel time and I want to make sure I understand how/when the Media Tile makes data calls. Here are the specific questions:
1. If the "Refresh rate for still images or GIFs" parameter is left blank, for a "still image or GIF" then will the url will only be called or updated when the panel is loaded, reloaded, or the media tile is clicked?
2. If the "Refresh rate" is set to something else (say 600 seconds), is the url called every 600 seconds regardless of if the media tile is on an active panel, or does it get called regardless?
3. If I have ActionTiles running on multiple devices simultaneously, does each device make independent update calls or is there a single update call shared by the devices?
4. Finally, is there a way to set media refresh rates to be more frequent during the day and less frequent during the evening?
I know that Google is offering the first $200 of use for free, but five minute traffic updates for three travel locations exceeds the 20,000 API calls that that $200 covers.
I posted last night on Facebook about being able to have the Ring App open and close automatically on an alert on a tablet dedicated (or not) to ActionTiles. Here is a very poor video I shot showing what I have setup. Video First let me give credit where it truly belongs. The Solution
For those who asked for more detail I am providing here. I have 3 tablets in my home dedicated to ActionTiles. Two are Samsung and one is the Amazon Fire HD 8. All are setup to run ActionTiles using the Fully Kiosk Browser set to motion activation, so when the tablet detects motion ActionTiles opens. Fully I am using the Pro version as that is what is needed to have it motion activated. Then within Fully you can setup a screen saver.
For that I am using the free version of DakBoard. Basically you setup an account online, choose what you want the screen saver to show, then get the URL and paste that into Fully. Dakboard. Of course you need the Ring App loaded.
The app that really makes this work is AutoMateIt (free version) with AutoMateIt you set up rules to open and close the Ring App. You need 2 Rules. One to open Ring and one to close. click on the plus sign and under the Trigger Tab choose Apps - "Notification Trigger". On the next screen choose using the magnifying glass the Ring app, click "Next" then choose "Start Application Action" and again choose "Ring" with the magnifying glass. Click "Next" and enter a name for your Rule and click the "Save Icon". That will now open the Ring app when a notification comes in from Ring that you have motion or doorbell rung. Now setup a second rule, choose the Ring app on the first step, so that a notification from Ring will trigger this rule, but under the Action tab choose the Fully app, and on the page where you enter the Rule name choose the "Delayed Execution" option and one minute, then Save. The second Rule will then reopen ActionTiles on Fully after the one minute mark. It is not perfect, and I have had some hiccups where it will open the Ring App on the list of devices page and not the view screen, but I would say 90% of the time it is working.
I would love to be able to set a password on short cuts rather then doing each individual tile. (Eg. All the security objects on tile then have a shortcut on the main tile with a lock on it to the security tile.
i hve had AT working with axis cameras for a while. The problem is the axis companion app does not allow for anonymous viewing. How can i add the user and pwd to my media tile url?
Is there a way to open android apps, ou executy an app activity?
I use chromecast audio for multiroom, i can't seem to find a way to open the Google Play Music within smartthings...
In my dashboard and just wanted at least to open the app, and then the music app can handle where to play the music...
Does anyone found any shortcut to open Play Music? I've tried as shortcut the app name, the activity to open app but nothing works... In the dashboard when i click that shortcut it takes me to configuration of the tiles. LOL
Does it make sense?
The latest Fully Kiosk Browser release has helped a bunch with opening Android apps from actiontiles. You can now select apps for the whitelist. You can also figure out the app intent URL very easily, by turning on the new single app mode and selecting the app you want. It will then load the intent URL which you can copy and paste it into a shortcut tile. So far I have gotten it to work with Spotify and Hangouts. Works like a charm.
Hi Everyone - new here but am pretty excited about this App. To me, it seems to smartly tie the Smart Home together. As a newbie, I am very interested in see everyone's creative panels. I would post up first but I don't think a few light switches, a clock and the weather are too interesting.
After many attempts to try and google the right URL, encoding login/pw into the URL, using RTSP vs. HTTP etc etc... I wanted to help others out by documenting what I did to finally get live feeds from my IP cameras into Action Tiles.
This method is NOT FREE, and will probably cost you about ~$60-$75 for all of the materials to set up.
No coding experience required. This is primarily all configuration.
What I tried and why it didn't work:
1) My NVR only provides RTSP feeds and therefore no http url would work for me, either to the cameras directly or to the NVR. If you're in a similar situation, I would recommend going this route.
2) RTSP feeds used as the URL in ActionTiles will also not work, especially if you're using the recommended Fully browser. You would not be able to pass your authentication credentials in the RTSP url (Fully will not allow it).
3) TinyCam Pro worked for a bit, however the webserver kept crashing. As a standalone on low bandwidth profile, compression 50 in ActionTiles, and only streaming 2 cameras, TinyCam Pro was using almost 40-50% of my Fire HD7. I believe my Fire HD7 couldn't handle the load and therefore just kept crashing, causing a blank image on my tiles. I'm glad I at least tried this route, since that's what gave me the initial idea of a webserver approach.
4) I don't subscribe to 3rd party services such as Blue Iris, but from what I know now, I'd say in the long run this method I'm about to describe can replace that service.
Basically we'll be taking the same approach as TinyCam Pro did, except running a similar Web Service approach on a separate device instead of the same device Action Tiles is running on.
1) A Raspberry Pi (I used an RPi3 model B for mine)
2) RPi3 case and power adapter
3) MicroSD card that is at least 8 GB. I grabbed a Samsung Evo+ that was 32 GB off of Amazon for around ~$30
4) Your tablet running ActionTiles (I'm using a Fire HD7)
High Level Steps:
1) Set up our RPi with motionEyeOS.
2) Add your cameras into the motionEye software.
3) Grab the http stream url.
4) Add media tile using the stream url in Action Tiles.
Step By Step Instructions:
1) Visit the github to grab motionEyeOS to be installed. Make sure you grab the right one for the particular Raspberry Pi version you have to play with.
2) Follow the installation instructions to flash motionEyeOS on your microSD card.
3) Put your RPi in the case, HDMI to a monitor, plug to your network via ethernet, put your microSD card in and power your RPi on.
4) Assuming their are no errors, the bootup text will provide the IP address for your RPi (You can change this later either when you log into the RPi or through your router settings). If everything boots up fine, you can safely go place your RPi somewhere, so long as its hooked up to the internet. We'll be doing everything remotely for now on.
5) After putting your RPi somewhere and powered back on, go back to your computer and enter in the RPi's IP address in your internet browser. This should bring you to MotionEye's login screen. Use admin with no pw as your initial login.
6) Now that you're in you can tweak stuff like turning on your RPi's wifi, changing the default pw, etc.
7) Start adding your cameras in. use the site AT recommends if you don't have access to your camera or NVR's manufacturer manuals. I did not embed credentials in my URL, there should be blanks provided for you to input login details when you add your cameras.
8) Assuming you added them correctly, you should now see them displayed in the GUI. I only have 2 in mine since that's all I wanted to display in AT, but I'm sure you can add many more.
9) After adding your cameras, now grab the stream URL in the camera settings. This should be just the IP address to your RPi followed by the port assigned to each camera you added.
10) Within ActionTile (you can even test in a separate browser tab if you want) this should show up instantly.
I hope this helps anyone trying to do this same thing. Good Luck!
I have the nest-manager device types installed for my cameras from:
This lets me see an image of my cameras in the SmartThings app, but when I look in ActionTiles, it shows only two capabilities: Switch and Image Capture. I tried importing Image Capture but the tile doesn't seem to do anything.
I've also tried using the image URL approach, but this only works for a short time until my browser logs out of Nest and the URL no longer works.
The Nest thermostat integration works really well though!
Anyone have any success with the cameras?
Customer support service by UserEcho