+62
Discuss & Vote

Allow information & Media Tiles to act as Shortcut Tiles

Kristopher J. 6 years ago in Panels (dashboards) / Special Tiles updated by Steve B 5 years ago 11 1 duplicate

It would be awesome if we could change the destination of a tile.  For example, adding a tile displaying the current temperature, but change the destination to anything else.  Such as a different panel or pops up the thermostat settings, etc.  Another idea would be a static icon, that links to a media content (such as showing a simple "CCTV" icon that when clicked opens the full-screen live camera media content.  (Instead of showing the live content in the small tile)

Answers

+1
PINNED
Discuss & Vote

Thanks for the idea, JB!

This is a bit of a crossover of some other requests for "images" on other Tile Types (as opposed to just icons) as well as the various Topics asking for more Icons. e.g.,

So this is a good thing: Limiting the scope of this request to just Media Tiles and to just Panel Shortcuts (and Link URL Shortcuts), makes it more feasible to consider. Though we still may do some Topic or concept merging.

+3
PINNED

This thread looks like it started off with a similar feature request to that I have in mind, although it drifted off towards media tiles and away from what I thought was the more interesting bit. I'd like to be able to associate URL shortcuts with any tile that does not otherwise have a click action. I guess you could generalise it as wanting status/information tiles to have 'tell me more' actions. Usage examples:

1. The OP's example of a tile displaying temperature clicking through to thermostat controls is a good example. It links current temperature to something that might be able to explain/alter that temperature.
  2. The OP gave an example of a 'CCTV' icon opening up a live camera. I'd like to see Motion tiles being able to do the same. Motion has been detected? Show me what is going on. No motion but someone is supposed to be moving about out there, are they OK? Show me.
  3. I'd like to be able to click on a Presence tile and open up a tracking map/app. I know where they aren't, now show me where they are.
  4. I'd like to be able to click on e.g. Smart Weather Tile and open up a weather forecast. I need a jumper on now, but what clothes might I need in four hours time?
Duplicates 1
+1
PINNED
Discuss & Vote

Thanks for the idea, JB!

This is a bit of a crossover of some other requests for "images" on other Tile Types (as opposed to just icons) as well as the various Topics asking for more Icons. e.g.,

So this is a good thing: Limiting the scope of this request to just Media Tiles and to just Panel Shortcuts (and Link URL Shortcuts), makes it more feasible to consider. Though we still may do some Topic or concept merging.

+2

It would be nice to do the same thing but with contact sensors. They don't do anything when clicked right now. I have several door sensors that all turn on a single simulated door and same thing for windows. I then have a shortcut tile that takes me to my door/window panel which shows all the sensors. If I could make the simulated switches link to the panel, I could eliminate the extra shortcut tile.

+1
Discuss & Vote

Hi Kristopher,

I've reworded the Topic Title; partially because we've had this request (in some form or another) before ... though not sure there is an existing open Topic.

I think this is a great idea!

Thanks,

...Terry.

+2

I had this same thought the other day. I recently added a media tile that displays a gif. The current clickthrough opens the gif full, but I'd love for it to open a panel.

+1

Thanks for the input, Jake. ... Indeed, the slight complication with Media Tiles is that they already have a function upon tapping = zoom. But I suppose we would override this if a Shortcut was specified in the Tile Settings.

+2

Terry - would you consider this topic to be similar enough to combine?

Option for Media Tiles to open Panel Shortcuts or Link URLs

If so, we could consolidate our votes into one single open topic.

+2

On the surface it seems that adding the ability to select an image for the Shortcut Tiles is the answer. 

An alternate solution might be to update the Media Tiles to allow for a "Link" in the Tile Options. 

Either way this would open up a world of options. 

There may be many users currently using the media tiles to open larger version of the same image. This could pose as a challenge to them. 

A work around may be to add an addition variable such as "LINK URL" in the media tile and when triggered using some logic along these lines:

On Click 

If "LINK URL" exists use "LINK URL"

Else 

Use  "MEDIA URL"

This way it is backwards compatible as it does not modify the existing user experience. Yet is still opens up a plethora of options.

+3
PINNED

This thread looks like it started off with a similar feature request to that I have in mind, although it drifted off towards media tiles and away from what I thought was the more interesting bit. I'd like to be able to associate URL shortcuts with any tile that does not otherwise have a click action. I guess you could generalise it as wanting status/information tiles to have 'tell me more' actions. Usage examples:

1. The OP's example of a tile displaying temperature clicking through to thermostat controls is a good example. It links current temperature to something that might be able to explain/alter that temperature.
  2. The OP gave an example of a 'CCTV' icon opening up a live camera. I'd like to see Motion tiles being able to do the same. Motion has been detected? Show me what is going on. No motion but someone is supposed to be moving about out there, are they OK? Show me.
  3. I'd like to be able to click on a Presence tile and open up a tracking map/app. I know where they aren't, now show me where they are.
  4. I'd like to be able to click on e.g. Smart Weather Tile and open up a weather forecast. I need a jumper on now, but what clothes might I need in four hours time?
+1

Yeah.  This thread is the merger of two similar threads.  My original post, which you can see if you view the "duplicate" post section, was limited to media tiles so I could use the tiles as a means to customize the navigation structure to my liking. 

Yours is a bit more expansive, where you are hoping to assign a URL shortcut to any tile that doesn't have a press action natively.  I can see lots of interesting possibilities there too.

This all sounds awesome! +1000 ;)