+36
Answered

Is it possible to change the color of a single tile? And custom icon?

mr smith 6 years ago in Colors Icons Fonts Themes updated by Terry (ActionTiles) (Co-Founder) 6 years ago 11

I'd like to make a certain tile a specific color and give it a custom icon. How can I do that?

Answers

PINNED
Answer
Answered
  1. As of v6.8.0; Custom Themes were added as a feature which allows a great deal of color control, applicable to the 4 "Intentions" that can be applied to the States of tiles (assigned in Tile Settings). Overriding the Theme's colors on a one-off basis has not been implemented, but the request is noted. As is providing colors for specific ranges of values; to be applicable to numeric value Tiles. We note the value of this.
  2. The ability to choose from a broad selection of Icons and have them applicable to "all" Tile Types is covered in this Feature Request:  It is In Progress, but your Votes and Follows are still notable:  https://support.actiontiles.com/communities/12/topics/3230-broad-icon-library-applicable-to-all-tile-types
+2
PINNED

Hi Owen,

We are working to make it possible. We have a plan to allow the use of several icon libraries.

We don't have an ETA yet. Stay tuned.

Answered: Discussion Open

Howdy Mr. Smith!

Customization of colors (starting at the Theme level and, inevitably sometime in the future ... for individual specific Tiles), is already in various phases of planning and development. Similarly, we hear your requests for icons, icons, icons!

Customization is such a broad topic there are surely a half-dozen or more different open Feature Requests - some similar, some quite unique. ... Internally we have to figure out the most efficient way to do the incremental improvements, so that Customers get benefits as soon as possible, without having to wait for "perfection".

This is as good a time as any to remind any and all Facebook users to please drop us the most positive possible reviews on official Reviews Page. This drives sales which we can invest in making ActionTiles better and better! https://www.facebook.com/ActionTiles/reviews

Thanks for your interest, support, and encouragement!

+1

Replying on this thread - Thanks for getting back to me about the Font Awesome icon repository. 

This: http://fontawesome.io/cheatsheet is the site i always used when customising my SmartTiles dashboards. 

Maybe ActionTiles could allow the user to copy and paste the icon reference (e.g []) from the site above to customise the icon for a specific tile rather than have a huge scrollable list of tiles. 

+2
PINNED

Hi Owen,

We are working to make it possible. We have a plan to allow the use of several icon libraries.

We don't have an ETA yet. Stay tuned.

+2

Based on what I'm reading, I suspect that almost all these issues could be addressed by providing a new tile type that merely contained the value(s) that pertain to a thing as parameters. The user would then be responsible for writing some simple html (pretty much anyone can write a few lines of html) that incorporates these parameters. 

This removes lots of development for Actiontiles with huge user benefits: Tiles could change colors based on state values, sound different alarms if, say temperatures are too high or too low, users can do individual colors or backgrounds per tile, each tile can use a different (or multiple) font(s), users can use different icons for different states/conditions, etc.  Rather than spending development time trying to choose the features that some users want, provide the framework and tools to let the community do what they need.

+2

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your feedback.

We understand the benefits of custom Tile types and strive to make it possible.

There are certain considerations which we need to balance out with openness, such as backwards compatibility, documentation, support and security.

I really like this idea!

Only Topic  VOTES  count, please (on the original topmost post of the Topic). Please avoid cluttering the Topics with "+1" comments that don't add clarification, ideas, or use cases. Thank-you!

+4

I had a thought, I'm not sure if it's been expressed before in any of these "give us more icons" threads... :)  

The thought was, why can't we select from any of the existing icon sets, instead of the limited set allocated to each device type?  Two examples of what I mean by this:

1.)  I own a Rachio sprinkler controller.  It presents a "switch" device and a "valve" device that I can use as tiles.  The valve tile has 4-5 water-themed icons I can choose from, and I happen to like one of them.  However, the valve tile does not support security, and I don't want people to be able to turn on my sprinklers without a pin, so I'm forced to use the switch tile.  Unfortunately, the icons for the switch tile are all about lighting or holiday themed, so I ended up choosing a tree icon for my sprinkler tiles.  Why can't I select one of the valve icons for a switch?

2.)  I own several deadbolt door locks.  There is only one icon available for these.  It looks like a padlock, and has locked/unlocked text underneath.  I saw someone else's panels and they had what I assume were magnetic door sensors.  The icon for those was of a door, and the text underneath was open/closed.  I understand the difference between a sensor and a lock, and the meaning of being open vs. being unlocked so this isn't about being able to change the text, but when it comes to the icon, why couldn't a lock use the door icon?

For that matter, if someone wanted their lock icon to be the hot tub from the power icon set (it's a door to their pool deck?), or the sleigh from the holiday set (it's a door to their garage?), why shouldn't they be able to do those things?  Again, just a thought to add some variety by enabling broader use of the icon assets already present in the software.

This. Currently I have a hot water circulation pump connected to a smart plug. The purpose it's to get the hot water to our second floor master bathroom for hot showers and such. I'm confined to using the plug/light icons instead of anything to do with water or bathrooms. I chose to use the spotlight icon only because it looks most like a showerhead. 

+2

In the 'old world' I used to reference Font Awesome icons from their site: http://fontawesome.io/cheatsheet - Being able to enter the FA Reference in a similar way to referencing a HEX code to select a colour would be awesome.

For example:  "fa-shower" or  " xf2cc" - is the reference for this Shower icon:  

PINNED
Answer
Answered
  1. As of v6.8.0; Custom Themes were added as a feature which allows a great deal of color control, applicable to the 4 "Intentions" that can be applied to the States of tiles (assigned in Tile Settings). Overriding the Theme's colors on a one-off basis has not been implemented, but the request is noted. As is providing colors for specific ranges of values; to be applicable to numeric value Tiles. We note the value of this.
  2. The ability to choose from a broad selection of Icons and have them applicable to "all" Tile Types is covered in this Feature Request:  It is In Progress, but your Votes and Follows are still notable:  https://support.actiontiles.com/communities/12/topics/3230-broad-icon-library-applicable-to-all-tile-types
Commenting disabled